Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb
2010-11-09 12:26
DeeKay

Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb

Okay, you all know how I like CSDb-drama, but usually I don't create any myself, but in this case Groepaz anal-ness about CSDb-rules simply forces me to:

Here's the story: We released the PAL/NTSC version of the NUFLI editor. It pretty much only included the new universal displayer, so we kept everything else the same. However, as I noticed on X while working on Electric's Tiger, it got somehow corrupted, meaning that it would CRASH and DESTROY your picture when you drew with sprites under certain circumstances. I notified Crossbow and he confirmed it and started working on a fixed version, which i tested extensively to make sure it's all A-ok (that's v1.12)

Okay, so I approached Groepaz and asked how to best solve the problem that there's a BROKEN version of our NUFLI editor on CSDb that actually DESTROYS images! I was really willing to play by the rules (=not deleting it and not stealthily replacing it with a fixed version), but whatever I suggested and did (renaming it to "Buggy-ed" so people wouldn't find it, using the "this file is corrupted" feature in the file dialogue), he said it's all not allowed and reversed anything I would try. Now I'm locked out of our own tool and can't edit it, great. Talking about admin power abuse... I dunno what his problem is seriously, sometimes he just loves to piss people off for no reason whatsoever...

Okay, so now there's still the broken v1.11 online which people can happily download. But why the FUCK would anyone want a broken version of a tool that DESTROYS your picture? This is not some 90% party version of a Demo, so what's the fucking point? Okay, so we released it corrupted, our bad. But should we be punished indefinately for it when we FIXED it meanwhile? And why can't I simply use the "this file is corrupted" feature? What's the point being anal about THAT, too? I mean - you CAN still download it and masturbate over a disfunctional c64 tool if that's your sexual preference, but at least you'll know it's br0ken! The *only* hint that it's broken is in the comments, which thank god GroeFaZ didn't delete...

Good v1.12: NUFLI Editor V1.12
Bad v1.11: NUFLI Editor V1.11 [broken]

... 86 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-11-10 22:21
Oswald

I think the rules are for us, and not we are for the rules. I guess this issue could've been solved in 3 minutes, if Groepaz would have been a bit more constructive.
2010-11-10 22:41
DeeKay

Quoting Zyron
This is just stupid. Every site has rules made to follow. Whether you like them or not doesn't really matter. If you're going to use the site, follow the rules.

Dude, like said before: There are neither rules for re-naming entries nor *specific* rules as to what the "file is corrupt" feature (and the respective part in the rules!) are for!

If you're gonna be anal about the rules, so be it, but then you need to make sure they spell out EVERYTHING in detail before accusing people of not following them!

And if the rules aren't clear on some matter or there are no rules, is a little cooperation and dialogue really too much to ask for?
2010-11-10 23:44
The Communist

Oswald: Yes, you are right, the rules are for the users, for whom else ?
2010-11-11 06:52
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

small things can lead to big dramas here, that's why I love CSDb... (c:

Actually I think renaming the title to "xxx (broken)" and using production-notes/goof to give a hint about the bug is a good solution, though maybe "(buggy)" would be better as "(broken)". IMO a broken/corrupt file is a file that does not run (due to missing or corrupt file/s), where a bugged version is still running having some bugs in functionality.

Also versioning is not the solution as rambones stated a few posts before. Is this sourceforge here? How many releases out of the +90.000 do really need versioning? Can I add work-stages for a demo then as well? like demo v0.9, demo v.95, demo v1.0, demo v1.1?

Anyway, sometimes I wish the moderators would deal such cases a bit more "friendly" so that both sides are happy, the moderators and the users... I mean we are all a 64 family here, aren't we?

so let's do a group hug... Mermaid where are u?! :D
2010-11-11 07:10
Radiant

General reflection on the topic:

You can't always have things the way you want them, and while sometimes coming off as something like an elitist asshole I think Groepaz is doing a great job keeping this site in order, as do the less vocal mods of course. (And also, elitist assholery in the scene? Say it aint so!)

In general I'd say finding a way to achieve something resembling what you want to do within the scope of the rules is the way to go, instead of just ignoring the rules you don't like because your cause is all too just and important for rules to stand in the way. Work with the mods, not against them, even if they're grumpy - they run the site, not you.
2010-11-11 07:55
DeeKay

Quoting radiantx
General reflection on the topic:

You can't always have things the way you want them, and while sometimes coming off as something like an elitist asshole I think Groepaz is doing a great job keeping this site in order, as do the less vocal mods of course.

Agreed... Still, they should try to work with their users, not against them! And I definately had this feeling when dealing with Gpz this time...
I was never on the US boards, but from what I've heard I seriously don't want CSDb to adopt such a flamewarring elitist culture...

Quote:
In general I'd say finding a way to achieve something resembling what you want to do within the scope of the rules is the way to go, instead of just ignoring the rules you don't like because your cause is all too just and important for rules to stand in the way. Work with the mods, not against them, even if they're grumpy - they run the site, not you.

I sure hope you're not talking about my case! <:-) Otherwise I'd be really wondering why I actually bother to post what happened...

And as for "they run the site, not you": I disagree. That's the same reasoning with Party Orgas: They need users just as much as users need them! It's a symbiosis, so let's just treat it that way, okay?

CSDb without *users* adding and maintaining entries would not be CSDb!... So let's just try to work together as best we can! ;-)
2010-11-11 13:31
booker
Account closed

I guess the name change in v1.11 solves this drama? =)

btw. two Crest dramas per year. A world first? \o/
2010-11-11 13:50
GT
Account closed

There's always a way around the rules, especially irl.
2010-11-11 15:52
Moloch

Quoting DeeKay
I was never on the US boards

This explains why you don't understand this rule. Once you release something you can't take it back, even more so with the internet now. I do understand not wanting something floating around that is going to cause issues, but everyone makes mistakes/errors, nothing to be afraid of. ;)
2010-11-11 16:37
chatGPZ

Quote:
Agreed... Still, they should try to work with their users, not against them! And I definately had this feeling when dealing with Gpz this time...

sorry, but if someone asks me how to do something, gets told it cant be done, and then he still turns around and does it, twice even - then i quickly switch to nazimoderator mode (and not just me), because i get the feeling someone is not only not listening, but also dileberately ignoring what has been said. and that part of the message you managed to get across quite well this time =P
Quote:
I was never on the US boards, but from what I've heard I seriously don't want CSDb to adopt such a flamewarring elitist culture...

oh come on... that coming from the guy who writes "actually enjoys flame wars" into his profile?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Stablizer/ExCeSs/DMX
Yazoo/Arsenic
csabanw
kbs/Pht/Lxt
www.gb64.com
fegolhuzz