Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb
2010-11-09 12:26
DeeKay

Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb

Okay, you all know how I like CSDb-drama, but usually I don't create any myself, but in this case Groepaz anal-ness about CSDb-rules simply forces me to:

Here's the story: We released the PAL/NTSC version of the NUFLI editor. It pretty much only included the new universal displayer, so we kept everything else the same. However, as I noticed on X while working on Electric's Tiger, it got somehow corrupted, meaning that it would CRASH and DESTROY your picture when you drew with sprites under certain circumstances. I notified Crossbow and he confirmed it and started working on a fixed version, which i tested extensively to make sure it's all A-ok (that's v1.12)

Okay, so I approached Groepaz and asked how to best solve the problem that there's a BROKEN version of our NUFLI editor on CSDb that actually DESTROYS images! I was really willing to play by the rules (=not deleting it and not stealthily replacing it with a fixed version), but whatever I suggested and did (renaming it to "Buggy-ed" so people wouldn't find it, using the "this file is corrupted" feature in the file dialogue), he said it's all not allowed and reversed anything I would try. Now I'm locked out of our own tool and can't edit it, great. Talking about admin power abuse... I dunno what his problem is seriously, sometimes he just loves to piss people off for no reason whatsoever...

Okay, so now there's still the broken v1.11 online which people can happily download. But why the FUCK would anyone want a broken version of a tool that DESTROYS your picture? This is not some 90% party version of a Demo, so what's the fucking point? Okay, so we released it corrupted, our bad. But should we be punished indefinately for it when we FIXED it meanwhile? And why can't I simply use the "this file is corrupted" feature? What's the point being anal about THAT, too? I mean - you CAN still download it and masturbate over a disfunctional c64 tool if that's your sexual preference, but at least you'll know it's br0ken! The *only* hint that it's broken is in the comments, which thank god GroeFaZ didn't delete...

Good v1.12: NUFLI Editor V1.12
Bad v1.11: NUFLI Editor V1.11 [broken]
2010-11-09 12:32
chatGPZ

<Post edited by chatGPZ on 9/11-2010 13:35>

once again

a file marked as corrupt does NOT mean "this file is somehow broken".

a file marked corrupt means "we only found a broken version of this file, look out for the working version".

and no, making sure that the various fields in the database are not abused for something they are not isnt pointless rules enforcement, its the fundamental idea of maintaining a database.

and as much as you wish it would be the case - this is not me abusing my moderater status. this all has been decided and enforced by the moderation team.

(and yes, every broken release will be archived eventually. the best way to avoid this is to release less crap)
2010-11-09 12:34
DeeKay

Look up the words "pointless" and "disfunctional" in the dictionary, pretty please!
2010-11-09 12:38
chatGPZ

i knew already that you dont want to understand how it works, no need to point it out again really :)
2010-11-09 12:42
DeeKay

Okay, let me rephrase it so you can understand it: I know what the rules are for. Do you honestly believe this is the case here? Please do tell me who desperately sees a need to download a version of a DISFUNCTIONAL tool!

And as for "look out for a working version": If I just happen to find a working version in my inbox, does that mean I can simply replace it? 8)))
2010-11-09 12:44
JackAsser

@Deekay: I think people are more than capable of reading your comments and warnings on the 1.11 version. Don't worry about it.

As an alternative, you could write a scroll text about the drama and release it as "NUFLI editor v1.11 [pal/ntsc] Don't use it!". Thus, when searching for the NUFLI-editor people would see that release just beside the real v1.11. :)
2010-11-09 12:49
Twoflower

I'd love to see that. I can supply you with CSDb DRAMA-logo (made with the RRR-logo-generator, ofcourse!).
2010-11-09 12:51
DeeKay

Thanks very much for the "less crap" comment btw! That *really* makes me want to contribute to the scene and CSDb! ;-D

Also, people replace stuff stealthily all the time, but you're punishing *me* explicitly for actually approaching you on how to do this the right way! By asking you, I've shown that I do not need to be "educated" on the rules, so STFU. If CSDb absolutely doesn't want people to meddle with added stuff, you should remove the "remove link" button - which you didn't, so what's the point of it being there in the first place?

btw: Are you the same Groepaz that laughs about Wikipedia-Rule-Nazis? 8) The whole irony of the situation seems to escape you here...

JA: Haha, great idea! NOT! 8)
2010-11-09 12:59
DeeKay

And 2ffie: How often have you looked up a known tool on CSDb simply because you needed it and immediately clicked on "download" without bothering to read the comments? I know I do it all the time!

All these pointless rules have been enforced for years for that day in the distant the future, when CSDb will FINALLY support versioning! I still don't know what I'd want with a disfunctional version of a tool then, but I'm sure it'll be great!

CSDb-Versioning will be enabled the day that Meet Crest, Duke Nukem Forever and HURD are released! <:-)

Please do search for "hoxs" in the search box. 56 matches for one tool. My god. WHAT'S THE POINT???
2010-11-09 12:59
chatGPZ

Quote:
Please do tell me who desperately sees a need to download a version of a DISFUNCTIONAL tool!

thats completely irrelevant - and thats exactly what you dont want to understand. a release will be archived, wether you or anyone else likes it or wants to download it doesnt matter at all.

Quote:
Also, people replace stuff stealthily all the time, but you're punishing *me* explicitly for actually approaching you on how to do this the right way!

nonsense. and indeed, people replace stuff all the time. but they seldomly break the rules - and if they do, they get told, and usually everything is resolved within 3 minutes.

other than that, word up jackasser. go make a demo about it :)
2010-11-09 13:07
DeeKay

Quote:

thats completely irrelevant - and thats exactly what you dont want to understand. a release will be archived, wether you or anyone else likes it or wants to download it doesnt matter at all.

Why????

Quote:

nonsense. and indeed, people replace stuff all the time. but they seldomly break the rules -

Bullshit. I've done it without consequences in the past (before I knew about the rules) and I know of many other people that did. Remember Graham's advice to do just that on IRC? 8) Also, you cannot do *anything* when the links are external, people can simply replace the file on their server and that is that - So what's the freaking point???

Quote:
and if they do, they get told, and usually everything is resolved within 3 minutes.

Bla bla bla bla - you know the lesson I learned from all this crap, Mr. Gestapo? DON'T ASK HOW TO PLAY NICE!

... 86 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
bOOZElEE
Ziphoid/SceneSat
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
Low Spirit
New Design/Excess
sln.pixelrat