Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user megasoftargentina ! (Registered 2024-04-16) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb
2010-11-09 12:26
DeeKay

Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb

Okay, you all know how I like CSDb-drama, but usually I don't create any myself, but in this case Groepaz anal-ness about CSDb-rules simply forces me to:

Here's the story: We released the PAL/NTSC version of the NUFLI editor. It pretty much only included the new universal displayer, so we kept everything else the same. However, as I noticed on X while working on Electric's Tiger, it got somehow corrupted, meaning that it would CRASH and DESTROY your picture when you drew with sprites under certain circumstances. I notified Crossbow and he confirmed it and started working on a fixed version, which i tested extensively to make sure it's all A-ok (that's v1.12)

Okay, so I approached Groepaz and asked how to best solve the problem that there's a BROKEN version of our NUFLI editor on CSDb that actually DESTROYS images! I was really willing to play by the rules (=not deleting it and not stealthily replacing it with a fixed version), but whatever I suggested and did (renaming it to "Buggy-ed" so people wouldn't find it, using the "this file is corrupted" feature in the file dialogue), he said it's all not allowed and reversed anything I would try. Now I'm locked out of our own tool and can't edit it, great. Talking about admin power abuse... I dunno what his problem is seriously, sometimes he just loves to piss people off for no reason whatsoever...

Okay, so now there's still the broken v1.11 online which people can happily download. But why the FUCK would anyone want a broken version of a tool that DESTROYS your picture? This is not some 90% party version of a Demo, so what's the fucking point? Okay, so we released it corrupted, our bad. But should we be punished indefinately for it when we FIXED it meanwhile? And why can't I simply use the "this file is corrupted" feature? What's the point being anal about THAT, too? I mean - you CAN still download it and masturbate over a disfunctional c64 tool if that's your sexual preference, but at least you'll know it's br0ken! The *only* hint that it's broken is in the comments, which thank god GroeFaZ didn't delete...

Good v1.12: NUFLI Editor V1.12
Bad v1.11: NUFLI Editor V1.11 [broken]

... 86 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-11-13 08:24
Steppe

Groepaz, you should really reconsider your keeper-of-the-holy-grail attitude and your authoritary approach to these matters. From an admin to a site like this I expect a little more diplomatic skills.
2010-11-13 08:28
Moloch

I'm trying to understand why some people, generally the people that have problems with the rules or cry the most when they don't get their way, seem to think this website should be "open" and "we require more feedback and moderators should have less control", etc. etc.

If CSDb did change to this limp-wrist pansy manner of handling things nothing would get done here. We'd have public votes on everything (deadlock), all the crybabies would need a constant supply of clean diapers w/rash ointment, etc.

These rules aren't changing and I doubt Groepaz is going anywhere as moderator. He is doing a fine job -- far better than lots of moderators before him. It's clear some people here require kid-gloves, maybe the moderators should bring in a special "baby patrol" group of moderators who can specifically deal with these little girlie-men babies.
2010-11-13 10:10
GT
Account closed

Quote: I'm trying to understand why some people, generally the people that have problems with the rules or cry the most when they don't get their way, seem to think this website should be "open" and "we require more feedback and moderators should have less control", etc. etc.

If CSDb did change to this limp-wrist pansy manner of handling things nothing would get done here. We'd have public votes on everything (deadlock), all the crybabies would need a constant supply of clean diapers w/rash ointment, etc.

These rules aren't changing and I doubt Groepaz is going anywhere as moderator. He is doing a fine job -- far better than lots of moderators before him. It's clear some people here require kid-gloves, maybe the moderators should bring in a special "baby patrol" group of moderators who can specifically deal with these little girlie-men babies.

Rules are ok, you missed the point.
It's about communication with the mod. An angry grumpy mod it seems.
2010-11-13 10:26
GT
Account closed

@DeeKay. I'd be ashamed aswell if the SDI music editor would fill the memory with garbage, or formatting the disk image instead of loading. I feel with you. It should though, be marked as bugged, not broken. The file itself still works. Corrupted file tag is about a none working image or prg file, physically, and not bugs in the code.

Guys, learn to communicate. A company filled with C64 sceners would look rather funny, with Groepaz as the CEO. Hahaha, fail!
2010-11-13 13:35
Perplex

He would pwn as the company accountant, though.
2010-11-13 14:43
DeeKay

Oswald, please don't be ridiculous. I know we've had our differences, but Groepaz does a *shitload* of important behind-the-scenes work for the scene (not just here, also as party orga!) so calling for his ban as an adminstrator is extremely counterproductive for us all and definately NOT the purpose of this thread!

All I want is better cooperation between admins and users and a less authoritarian approach on things (rules-analness just for the sake of it instead of cooperation). Groepaz himself is pretty anti-authoritarian in anything but scene matters, so I just wish that he realizes he's become quite a bit of that which he had always despised otherwise! ;-)

And just to state something once more, because I feel people accuse me of something wrong: I'm *not* someone who thinks "the rules don't apply to him", if I was I wouldn't have asked Groepaz for help on how to solve this problem in compliance with the rules first of all, would I?
2010-11-13 15:09
Stainless Steel

I second what DK said about Groepaz.

Difficult character? Yes, but who isnt.

Bad moderator ? No, not in my book.
2010-11-13 15:35
Oswald

My opinion is based not only on this event there's a pattern you should have noticed. Anyway I dont want to get into this.
2010-11-13 17:34
Sixx

What Moloch said.

2010-11-13 20:25
Steppe

To make one thing clear, besides all my steam-venting and admin-bashing: On the whole I appreciate the work being done in the background by the admin crew, Groepaz included.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 114
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)