Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb
2010-11-09 12:26
DeeKay

Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb

Okay, you all know how I like CSDb-drama, but usually I don't create any myself, but in this case Groepaz anal-ness about CSDb-rules simply forces me to:

Here's the story: We released the PAL/NTSC version of the NUFLI editor. It pretty much only included the new universal displayer, so we kept everything else the same. However, as I noticed on X while working on Electric's Tiger, it got somehow corrupted, meaning that it would CRASH and DESTROY your picture when you drew with sprites under certain circumstances. I notified Crossbow and he confirmed it and started working on a fixed version, which i tested extensively to make sure it's all A-ok (that's v1.12)

Okay, so I approached Groepaz and asked how to best solve the problem that there's a BROKEN version of our NUFLI editor on CSDb that actually DESTROYS images! I was really willing to play by the rules (=not deleting it and not stealthily replacing it with a fixed version), but whatever I suggested and did (renaming it to "Buggy-ed" so people wouldn't find it, using the "this file is corrupted" feature in the file dialogue), he said it's all not allowed and reversed anything I would try. Now I'm locked out of our own tool and can't edit it, great. Talking about admin power abuse... I dunno what his problem is seriously, sometimes he just loves to piss people off for no reason whatsoever...

Okay, so now there's still the broken v1.11 online which people can happily download. But why the FUCK would anyone want a broken version of a tool that DESTROYS your picture? This is not some 90% party version of a Demo, so what's the fucking point? Okay, so we released it corrupted, our bad. But should we be punished indefinately for it when we FIXED it meanwhile? And why can't I simply use the "this file is corrupted" feature? What's the point being anal about THAT, too? I mean - you CAN still download it and masturbate over a disfunctional c64 tool if that's your sexual preference, but at least you'll know it's br0ken! The *only* hint that it's broken is in the comments, which thank god GroeFaZ didn't delete...

Good v1.12: NUFLI Editor V1.12
Bad v1.11: NUFLI Editor V1.11 [broken]

... 86 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-11-10 00:03
SIDWAVE
Account closed

to say it in the most proper way:

this problem, and many many others, is just a symptom of, that csdb is not being updated and developed, in tune with time and growing needs.

solution: make CSDB 2.0
2010-11-10 07:07
Perplex

Quoting rambones
solution: make CSDB 2.0

Indeed. When you've finished it, be sure to let us know.
2010-11-10 07:19
The Communist

Rambones: Do you take the time to read everything in this thread ? I don think so. Otherwise you would have found the remarks of Celtic which say: "Due to some personal issues perff wont be back for a while, but when he does i will ask him about versioning :)"
2010-11-10 10:36
DeeKay

Quoting Burglar
yay for csdb drama o/

seriously though, a nice compromise would've been to edit the release title: "nufli-editor v1.11" would become "nufli-editor v1.11 (broken)", and then a goof explaining it.

Well, like said, changing the Title (so people don't find it anymore) was the first thing I tried. It got reversed without any comment - even though there's no rule saying you can't edit the title to your heart's content! Now I've added "broken" to it, which seems to be okay. I've even told Groepaz that I'll be changing the title since there's no rule against that, but it got reversed anyway... One *could've* mailed/talked to me to work out what kind of renaming would be considered appropriate (remember: there IS no rule!), but it's pretty obvious that de-escalation or finding an actual compromise was never even on the menu in this whole matter... I don't know how often I've tried to work something out on IRC, all to no avail...

Quote:
also, if I search for a nufli editor, I will get multiple hits, including the latest and greatest version. I'd be a jackass if I didn't download the latest version.

Well, f.ex. I don't like the new versions of the Faces Font Editor made.. I want the original thing, cause that's what I'm used to! Also, like mrsid pointed out, the old one has a higher rating! ;-)

P.S: Looky what I found in the rules (7.1, which deals with replacing files!) when I searched for rules about changing release names: "(this rule does not apply to replacing broken files with working ones, obviously we hope)" 8)))

P.P.S: Communist, please google "GröFaZ", i beg you! <:-) So much for "Nazi paranoia"! ;-D *I* only went with it!....
2010-11-10 11:57
The Communist

Dekan, I trink I was clear. It is not the question whar Gröfaz means but that you compare Groepaz with Adolf Hitler and his fascist regime. So you offend him. Stop it. Be factual.
2010-11-10 16:08
chatGPZ

Quote:
It got reversed without any comment - even though there's no rule saying you can't edit the title to your heart's content!

now why dont you also tell HOW you renamed the entry, and explain how it wasnt a completely stupid idea to do it like this? and yes, if something is SO obviously not how it should be, it would often silently get corrected.

Quote:
"(this rule does not apply to replacing broken files with working ones, obviously we hope)"

also look up what the rules tell about the hypothetical case that you dont understand the rules.
for this matter, this rule applies to files which also qualify as beeing marked corrupted - ie actually broken files, not releases someone fucked up.
2010-11-10 18:55
Slator

lol, now we end up in a na-zi discussion, great... <eating popcorn and sits down to expect more>

maybe alien mindbenders are around?

there have been several really constructive ideas here, let them come true and stop nagging like wikipedia-idiots
2010-11-10 20:05
DeeKay

Quoting Groepaz
Quote:
It got reversed without any comment - even though there's no rule saying you can't edit the title to your heart's content!

now why dont you also tell HOW you renamed the entry, and explain how it wasnt a completely stupid idea to do it like this? and yes, if something is SO obviously not how it should be, it would often silently get corrected.

Dude, learn to read before telling others what to do:
Quoting DeeKay

but whatever I suggested and did (renaming it to "Buggy-ed" so people wouldn't find it, using the "this file is corrupted" feature in the file dialogue)

Quote:
Quote:
"(this rule does not apply to replacing broken files with working ones, obviously we hope)"

also look up what the rules tell about the hypothetical case that you dont understand the rules.
for this matter, this rule applies to files which also qualify as beeing marked corrupted - ie actually broken files, not releases someone fucked up.

Aha, that's good to know... Maybe you should actually write that then, cause for simpletons like me this sentence is rather obvious: A broken file is one that doesn't work and a working one is one that does. It's really that simple out here in non-collector's-land!...

Communist: I'm offending him??? Gee, I had no idea!!!! OMG!... Thanks for warning me!
2010-11-10 20:19
The Communist

Yes, I am a kind guy. Now you can't say you didn't know.
2010-11-10 20:20
Zyron

This is just stupid. Every site has rules made to follow. Whether you like them or not doesn't really matter. If you're going to use the site, follow the rules.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
wil
Soya/Fairlight
Viti/Hokuto Force
Mike
The Human Co../Maste..
Dymo/G★P