Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb
2010-11-09 12:26
DeeKay

Pointless rule-enforcement on CSdb

Okay, you all know how I like CSDb-drama, but usually I don't create any myself, but in this case Groepaz anal-ness about CSDb-rules simply forces me to:

Here's the story: We released the PAL/NTSC version of the NUFLI editor. It pretty much only included the new universal displayer, so we kept everything else the same. However, as I noticed on X while working on Electric's Tiger, it got somehow corrupted, meaning that it would CRASH and DESTROY your picture when you drew with sprites under certain circumstances. I notified Crossbow and he confirmed it and started working on a fixed version, which i tested extensively to make sure it's all A-ok (that's v1.12)

Okay, so I approached Groepaz and asked how to best solve the problem that there's a BROKEN version of our NUFLI editor on CSDb that actually DESTROYS images! I was really willing to play by the rules (=not deleting it and not stealthily replacing it with a fixed version), but whatever I suggested and did (renaming it to "Buggy-ed" so people wouldn't find it, using the "this file is corrupted" feature in the file dialogue), he said it's all not allowed and reversed anything I would try. Now I'm locked out of our own tool and can't edit it, great. Talking about admin power abuse... I dunno what his problem is seriously, sometimes he just loves to piss people off for no reason whatsoever...

Okay, so now there's still the broken v1.11 online which people can happily download. But why the FUCK would anyone want a broken version of a tool that DESTROYS your picture? This is not some 90% party version of a Demo, so what's the fucking point? Okay, so we released it corrupted, our bad. But should we be punished indefinately for it when we FIXED it meanwhile? And why can't I simply use the "this file is corrupted" feature? What's the point being anal about THAT, too? I mean - you CAN still download it and masturbate over a disfunctional c64 tool if that's your sexual preference, but at least you'll know it's br0ken! The *only* hint that it's broken is in the comments, which thank god GroeFaZ didn't delete...

Good v1.12: NUFLI Editor V1.12
Bad v1.11: NUFLI Editor V1.11 [broken]

... 86 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-11-09 15:40
Frantic

Lamers!
2010-11-09 15:47
DeeKay

Quoting Groepaz

and because there are still ways to bend the rules and get away with it, we should completely remove them! ofcourse.

Oh my, the good old Lunatic Fringe nonsense...

LUNATIC FRINGE:
If a person is making an imaginative or novel point, the approach here is to push the idea to a radical extreme generally agreed to be bad.

Now, where exactly did I say "completely remove them" or *anything* even *hinting* in that direction?

CSDb-admins should be humans, not act like programs...

Quote:
no, infact what you say are the reasons why we add local copies of every file if we stumble about external-link only entries. and its the reason why links to binaries are beeing logged and binaries are never deleted for real. you can obviously always be sneaky - but dont complain if someone notices.

Yeah, "notice", LOL, right... I was stupid enough to think that asking you for help was the better approach, which implanted the buggy NUFLI editor firmly onto your Gestapo-Radar! <:-) Sorry, won't happen again!...
2010-11-09 16:25
Rough
Account closed

Problem is that CSDb in fact has become the main release site for C64 stuff although that is not its original and real purpose, a database. Databases store everything, even bugged releases, but that has been said above.

I'd say: add info on the file being buggy into the entry title as everyone will see that; unlike reading comments.
2010-11-09 16:56
chatGPZ

<Post edited by chatGPZ on 9/11-2010 18:40>

Quote:
Yeah, "notice", LOL, right... I was stupid enough to think that asking you for help was the better approach, which implanted the buggy NUFLI editor firmly onto your Gestapo-Radar! <:-)

sorry to disappoint you, but recently edited and/or deleted entries are beeing presented to every moderator in a regular list, and everyone eventually goes through it and checks stuff randomly.

and yes sure, asking what to do, and then when you get told that what you want to do doesnt comply with the rules you ignore that and do what you want anyway, and that repeatedly even after beeing told to stop - thats stupid enough. its also a good way to ensure that future edits/deletions will get checked more likely than before, btw =P

Quote:
Problem is that CSDb in fact has become the main release site for C64 stuff although that is not its original and real purpose, a database.

yep, indeed. and as for that, i still like the idea of not adding anything to csdb that wasnt released elsewhere :)
2010-11-09 17:03
The Communist

Dear Deekay, this stupid nazi-comparisons annoy. Try to get help to get your nazi paranoia cured please.
2010-11-09 17:40
Burglar

yay for csdb drama \o/

seriously though, a nice compromise would've been to edit the release title: "nufli-editor v1.11" would become "nufli-editor v1.11 (broken)", and then a goof explaining it.
also, if I search for a nufli editor, I will get multiple hits, including the latest and greatest version. I'd be a jackass if I didn't download the latest version.

csdb archives releases and once a release is released, it cant be unreleased. hence the rules on here.
groepaz is right in enforcing the rules, but the mods could at least work out a doable compromise, instead of just saying "NO! Rules are Rules!"

my 3 cents

edit: errrm, seems I didnt read the whole thread (yes really), you boys are just as smart as me lol
2010-11-09 20:33
Count Zero

Pointless thread.

Release fail - plain and simple.
2010-11-09 21:52
Stainless Steel

Yeah Crest fucked up and now its on the record. Man up and live with it.

PS : I want to see that demo about the bug. with gfx made in the buggy editor version !! HARHARHAR!

:-D
2010-11-09 22:35
Moloch

wares people vs. demo people
2010-11-10 00:01
SIDWAVE
Account closed

The solution is this:

1 single entry for a release, then:

<toolname> <version>

Obsolete versions:

tool v1.11
tool v1.0
tool v0.9

if tool 1.12 latest, get replaced by 1.13,
then 1.12 moves into the obsolete list.

now be a real moderator, and if the creator dont code the interface and modify and develop the site, then you do that, or get someone to.

a site that runs in 10 year old design, and has no maintainer, other than moderator, is a disfunctional site.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guinea_pig/Moonshine
KAL_123
commodore_freak
Guests online: 134
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)