Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3003 : Only Sprites Compo
2020-11-04 12:59
Raistlin

Event id #3003 : Only Sprites Compo

Competition Rules:

* You can ONLY display sprites - no chars or bitmaps. Magic byte(s) CAN be used.
* Change any VIC properties that you like
* The Effect must be a one-screener in one PRG (preferably compressed) (no disk streaming)
* Variations of the effect are allowed
* Interaction is allowed - make it a game if you like ;-p
* Music is allowed and encouraged
* Borders can of course be removed

Winner will be chosen based on CSDB's rankings.

... 99 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2021-01-23 13:43
Laxity

Quote: There is a lot of dishonesty around nowadays, and people get upset about all critique. Not just you Raistlin and Trap. Some 2000's thing? Assume the worst always? Why do you whine when people critique your stuff?

I have received whining in private messages if I did not praise some 1000 times done thing to heavens. I've seen logo and scroller before. I've heard musicians write the same tune all over again. Good job well done. Not winner.

My opinions about the oldschool sprite demo are honest. It does not push the scene forward in any other way than someone did it, it will win because it is a nostalgy trip.

There were technically better entries in my opinion, however popular vote wins, so the crowdpleaser wins. It's been always like this.

It has nothing to do with envy, just honesty of personal opinion, and take all this critique with love, not hate. You guys can do much better and much more original stuff.

So, not envious, but just disappointed little man.

That’s all cool. What I don’t get is the urge to put things down, just because you do not agree with them. A competition like this is really a popularity contest, hopefully in the context of the overall experience, rather than about a specific detail in the demos or who made them. I liked a lot of the demos for the entirety of what they constitute. If I were to judge them on the basis of a predisposition, say whether the music is based on a pentatonic approach or what ever, I would find myself not to be open to surprises or emotional movement, but rather focusing on a nonsensical detail. Voting on the basis of what YOU like is really highly personal, and telling others they are wrong if they like something else, is not really doing anything good, I think. Nor is telling people here that what they are creating is trivial. I think such statements as harmful to peoples choices to express themselves in a scene that I think should embrace creativity on any level. I’m saying this to you respectfully - I realize we all have different ways of expressing what we like and expect from the scene as well as different expectations as to what the scene SHOULD be - and I do agree with some of the things you are saying too. And I also think some of the responses to your original post were pretty unnecessary. :) ... and now I’m considering whether to even post this, because I’m too old and tired to start a long discussion and being told I’m stupid. Well, fuck it. :D
2021-01-23 14:36
ChristopherJam

<3
2021-01-23 15:15
Mixer

Its all good Raistlin, Trap. Some healthy discussion has come out of this. Lesson learned.
2021-01-23 15:16
Perplex

Thank you, Laxity. I agree wholeheartily with what you wrote, so clearly it wasn't stupid at all. ;)

I'd also like to add that these are trying times for most of us, so please try to be a little generous toward those who manage to be productive and gift us with their fun creations despite everything going on around us.
2021-01-23 15:22
Zyron

Group hug!
2021-01-23 16:05
Youth

Woops I didn’t realize this compo was all about winning it! I thought it was about having fun and creating stuff ;) I’ll have to pay more attention next time.
2021-01-23 16:55
Slammer

Yes, demo watching is highly subjective and lots of productions deserve praise here. For instance I really enjoyed 'Son of a Bit', 'UGULB' and 'A Game of Ten' and they are not even in top 5.
2021-01-23 17:53
Oswald

Quote: Oswald: Check the discussion on the event page around the 6th of January.

yes rules changed mid compo...
2021-01-23 18:19
Raistlin

No, Oswald, they didn’t. There were two ways that the competition rules were being interpreted - and I settled that after some discussion by accepting both and by splitting the compo into two. Doubling the prize winnings with that.

Interesting that you choose to draw a problem from that - that says a lot IMO.
2021-01-24 07:09
Oswald

my mistake I was just skimming through the compo page comments, so 2 prizes, that makes it fair and square.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
Oswald/Resource
zscs
JEZ
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
Guests online: 72