Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Nicron ! (Registered 2024-05-21) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3294 : X-2024
2023-06-06 11:36
Knight Rider

Event id #3294 : X-2024

I was having a discussion with a few guys over beers in X'2023 and the compos. I was telling about my days as OR8 pilot in the RC world where we had junior, hobby and pro categories for the races.

To make it abit more motivational the people/groups who aren't 20 members strong each with 30+ years of demo coding experience it might be worth while considering other options ?

eg. some of the ideas we discussed:

. Having a pro (ie previous winner category) and hobby section so that contributors are compared to peers of similar experience
. Splitting the voting/ranking for 1 filers from multi disk entries
. Newcomer award for those individuals or teams who never submitted to X before

... 155 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-06-09 09:42
TDJ

Raistlin, the order was based on the size of the entries.
2023-06-09 09:53
Krill

Quoting TDJ
Seems like a good proxy for amount of content (size after compression, i take it). Can of course be trolled with some random bits. =)
2023-06-09 11:03
Krill

Quoting ChristopherJam
I do like the idea of limiting the number of disk sides..
This doesn't seem to happen for X, but it would certainly make it more interesting.

Adding another disk side is cheap these days, and an easy way out for ever more content.
Restricting to two disk sides would pose new and interesting challenges, and yield better comparability of demos.

Development of denser disk encoding schemes and associated tools would be resumed. People would put unrolled code to disk less casually. The sweet spot somewhere in the range between fully real-time and fully-streamed would shift. Etc. =)
2023-06-09 11:41
Burglar

Quoting Krill
Quoting TDJ
Seems like a good proxy for amount of content (size after compression, i take it). Can of course be trolled with some random bits. =)
yes, the demo compo was sorted by entropy. It took me a total of 0.291 seconds to sort the entire demo compo. All other compos are randomized. I call it the burg-method :)

I am extremely happy how it turned out, zero reason to change it, so I won't :)
2023-06-09 12:12
JackAsser

Just hand in the demo _after_ the compo like I did with Drinking Buddies at previous X. :D (Tbh I accidentally placed it in the wrong category and had to beg for it to be shown).
2023-06-09 12:22
Burglar

Quoting JackAsser
Just hand in the demo _after_ the compo like I did with Drinking Buddies at previous X. :D (Tbh I accidentally placed it in the wrong category and had to beg for it to be shown).
I remember :) This actually happened again with 1 entry, but this time the uploader found out before the compo started.
I told em he was in good company and explained you did the same thing, so he shouldn't feel bad ;)
2023-06-09 12:33
spider-j

About "pre-sorting" demos: In 2016 when the compo started with Bonzai we in Mayday! thought they forgot our demo XD
2023-06-09 13:02
TDJ

Quote: Quoting Krill
Quoting TDJ
yes, the demo compo was sorted by entropy. It took me a total of 0.291 seconds to sort the entire demo compo. All other compos are randomized. I call it the burg-method :)

I am extremely happy how it turned out, zero reason to change it, so I won't :)

It was sorted by Entropy? The group Wile Coyote used to be part of? So it seems he actually does have some kind of influence on the X-organizers .. All of a sudden I'm taking his suggestions a lot more serious!
2023-06-09 13:27
Youth

I hope that, like for me, the demoscene is about creativity and cooperation and competition is only a tiny little aspect of that. Any rules that limit the flowing of that juicy creativity would really be a shame. And putting people in categories of skills is something we left behind a long time ago right? There are no real lamers anymore. Only friends and mutual respect, no matter how skilled you are.

Maybe it is easy for me to say because I am not competitive by nature, but I can hardly believe that people in the scene put those ridicilously long hours into this art to win an award. I am sure they make art for art's sake, why on earth would we put limitations on art?
2023-06-09 13:31
Boogaloo

Quote: I hope that, like for me, the demoscene is about creativity and cooperation and competition is only a tiny little aspect of that. Any rules that limit the flowing of that juicy creativity would really be a shame. And putting people in categories of skills is something we left behind a long time ago right? There are no real lamers anymore. Only friends and mutual respect, no matter how skilled you are.

Maybe it is easy for me to say because I am not competitive by nature, but I can hardly believe that people in the scene put those ridicilously long hours into this art to win an award. I am sure they make art for art's sake, why on earth would we put limitations on art?

This! This! This!
Previous - 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ... | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Mike
Icecube/Light
Xiny6581/Dees Produc..
Walt/Bonzai
TheRealWanderer
Magnar