Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user Nicron ! (Registered 2024-05-21) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3294 : X-2024
2023-06-06 11:36
Knight Rider

Event id #3294 : X-2024

I was having a discussion with a few guys over beers in X'2023 and the compos. I was telling about my days as OR8 pilot in the RC world where we had junior, hobby and pro categories for the races.

To make it abit more motivational the people/groups who aren't 20 members strong each with 30+ years of demo coding experience it might be worth while considering other options ?

eg. some of the ideas we discussed:

. Having a pro (ie previous winner category) and hobby section so that contributors are compared to peers of similar experience
. Splitting the voting/ranking for 1 filers from multi disk entries
. Newcomer award for those individuals or teams who never submitted to X before

... 155 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-06-08 08:15
dyme

As a newcomer at X'2018 let me throw in that showing stuff on the big screen between the other awesome demos is in itself a great reward. You'd probably have a hard time detecting jokers turning in bogus trash demos to mock such a 'newcomer' category anyway.
Single file as a category in itself would make the most sense, as they are now indestinguishable from the other demos and that additional restriction should be made visible more. How many disk sides a demo uses is already pretty visible.
2023-06-08 08:42
dyme

Quote: Quoting Wile Coyote
Or a demo makes use of a loader created by X.
WAT

Wait, so you're not rewriting the loader system for every new demo from scratch? Now thats lame. Next you're telling me you're using a stock compiler and a paint program not even written by your group!!

@wile I get it, I like seeing new tech. But loaders, packers and sid-players are huge hurdles, and your're basically placing these restrictions on small and new groups only. And of course they are next to impossible to detect and enforce.
2023-06-08 09:24
Boogaloo

I'm pretty sure that Wile meant the exact opposite, that loaders and already released tunes would be exempt from the rules, since those are not newly created.
This would mean that Lft would be allowed to compete with a demo even if someone else has used Spindle in a demo, but The Sarge would only be able to contribute with graphics in one of the demos in the competition.
That's how I interpret Wile's suggestion.
2023-06-08 10:09
Bitbreaker

Are you aware what you are asking for? This would mean, some people should hold back on their fun creating content, gfx, code, music. That people contribute to more than one project lies in their high activity. Who are you to limit others fun? :-D Fun is the only thing that drives me in the process of creating a demo and the luck of having quite some sparetime to spend into doing demos. I might think of holding back if you spend and pay me some travel and holidays :-P
2023-06-08 10:57
Raistlin

Why does anyone want to change anything? Weird IMO… X compo is perfect as is.

Annual is too much for many of us, sure.. and the timing complicates it for many too. Maybe 2025 could shift back to Autumn?

In terms of how many demos could be released etc… work harder, faster, sheeple :p .. or just release every 2, or 3, or 5 years? Nobody said you have to release at every X.

Also.: re: the big leagues, little leagues, etc.. why? I want to fight with the big groups. Who dictates the league anyway? If it’s “the people”, that’s not fair.. if it’s the group themselves.. what’s to stop Booze deciding they want to fight in the little league?

I would just leave things alone… if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.
2023-06-08 11:16
Boogaloo

Quote: Are you aware what you are asking for? This would mean, some people should hold back on their fun creating content, gfx, code, music. That people contribute to more than one project lies in their high activity. Who are you to limit others fun? :-D Fun is the only thing that drives me in the process of creating a demo and the luck of having quite some sparetime to spend into doing demos. I might think of holding back if you spend and pay me some travel and holidays :-P

I was just interpreting Wile's suggestion. I agree with you. :-)
2023-06-08 11:31
Wile Coyote
Account closed

@Boogaloo You got it. Spot on!

It would put an end to either a coder, musician, graphician, designer etc appearing in (being credited for) more than one demo in any one ‘Demo’ compo.

@dyme The restrictions would apply across the board to old and new groups :)
2023-06-08 12:08
Krill

Quoting Wile Coyote
It would put an end to either a coder, musician, graphician, designer etc appearing in (being credited for) more than one demo in any one ‘Demo’ compo.
And why is that a problem. Seriously.
2023-06-08 13:08
enthusi

And no one should be above 1.70m tall, I suggest.
Not trying to ridicule an ongoing discussion but I find it indeed quite weird to tell people what (not) to do in their free time.
Plus: this X was (again) super amazing. Why change it or anything about it?
2023-06-08 14:18
Burglar

Funny thread this, people trying to change the rules so they can win. Not by merit, but by adding restrictions for our best coders, graphicians and musicians. The answer is no :)
Collaboration is key in the demo-scene, something that should be encouraged and cherished.

What many of you are forgetting is that this was the first X after 5 years, it's only logical that so many sceners and groups went all-out, resulting in the biggest and best X compo ever. Yes it was overwhelming, yes beating any of the top 10 will be impossible for most, yes, this was X :)

Since we are throwing another one in less than a year, all of the suggested restrictions are irrelevant: there simply is not enough time for any group to deliver the same huge size and quality of demos.

Quoting Groepaz
... i think that annual party actually makes the compos more "approachable" again. ...
this :)

It doesn't mean we may do some small changes to the setup, but we need time to relax and evaluate. I still haven't fully recovered :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
rime/Fancy Rats
DeeKay/Crest
Guests online: 100
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 13:37  (9.7)