Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3294 : X-2024
2023-06-06 11:36
Knight Rider

Event id #3294 : X-2024

I was having a discussion with a few guys over beers in X'2023 and the compos. I was telling about my days as OR8 pilot in the RC world where we had junior, hobby and pro categories for the races.

To make it abit more motivational the people/groups who aren't 20 members strong each with 30+ years of demo coding experience it might be worth while considering other options ?

eg. some of the ideas we discussed:

. Having a pro (ie previous winner category) and hobby section so that contributors are compared to peers of similar experience
. Splitting the voting/ranking for 1 filers from multi disk entries
. Newcomer award for those individuals or teams who never submitted to X before

... 155 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2023-06-06 20:35
Nith

Yeah, my understanding was, that stiff competition and upping your game while trying to reach the top is kind of the most important pillar the scene is built on, would be kind of lame to change that. Also what TheRyk said, X feels like the world championship, you need to be really good to win something.
On a side note: If you can't make it on your own, you can still try to improve your skills until one of the big groups will try to snatch you up ;) Works like in football I guess.
A newcomer award of some sorts would be kind of cool though
2023-06-06 22:20
wacek

Just to clarify my understanding of "newcomer award" - take the best demo that was done by somebody young/debuting etc and reward it. Orgas could easily be the judges there.
Separate "newcomer" compo was never my idea, as it is not a good one ;)
2023-06-06 22:34
wacek

Quoting Krill
Everybody would immediately understand "4KB demo" to refer to restricted executable size with unrestricted memory footprint, while "4KB intro" is quite ambiguous since at least ICC rules (restricted memory footprint) have been invented on this platform.

Again, 4kB intro tradition is much older than ICC, for me that's not a valid argument. By the way, if you want to be such precise, that would also require renaming all other sizecoded intro categories, why there is no confusion if the 1kB intro is a crack intro or a 1kB restricted demo?
For me that's a really artificial issue, which should be replaced with more people contributing 4k's instead ;)

Quote:
Calling demos intros was a stupid idea from the start, too. :)

Trackmos were originally "trackloaded demos", seems to me that is also not precise...
2023-06-06 23:31
Krill

Quoting wacek
Quoting Krill
Everybody would immediately understand "4KB demo" to refer to restricted executable size with unrestricted memory footprint, while "4KB intro" is quite ambiguous since at least ICC rules (restricted memory footprint) have been invented on this platform.

Again, 4kB intro tradition is much older than ICC, for me that's not a valid argument.
Tradition is made to be broken. That term may originate from some other platform's sub-scene, but calling the things what they are while reducing ambiguity, at a C-64 only party, no less... Well, let's just agree to disagree.

Quoting wacek
By the way, if you want to be such precise, that would also require renaming all other sizecoded intro categories, why there is no confusion if the 1kB intro is a crack intro or a 1kB restricted demo?
For me that's a really artificial issue, which should be replaced with more people contributing 4k's instead ;)
Now that's a strawman. Two, actually.
But yeah, more 4Ks. And whatever the category names, RTFR. =)

Quoting wacek
Trackmos were originally "trackloaded demos", seems to me that is also not precise...
Sure, just another silly name (it sounds cool, though). And the very concept of "trackloading" doesn't make sense on C-64 (while it does on Amiga). =)
2023-06-07 05:31
Knight Rider

Quoting wacek
Just to clarify my understanding of "newcomer award" - take the best demo that was done by somebody young/debuting etc and reward it. Orgas could easily be the judges there.
Separate "newcomer" compo was never my idea, as it is not a good one ;)

Yes... exactly this. Could be a 1st timer at X, never submitted before, new to C64 etc.
2023-06-07 09:32
Burglar

Quoting Knight Rider
... I spent the whole time moaning that the 4 other ones submitted weren't intros, but 4kb demos. I was told it's not CSDB rules that are applying here...

- there are no 4K csdb rules, besides filesize.
- there was no 4K intro competition at X, there was a 4K competition.
- in PC world, 4K intro means 4K demo.

was it really too hard to just read the rules? there was no mention of the word "intro" anywhere.
2023-06-07 09:57
Knight Rider

Quoting Burglar
was it really too hard to just read the rules? there was no mention of the word "intro" anywhere.

Sure there was, plenty of places...

. X'2023 C64 4K Intro
. Event id #3187 : X'2023 A quick clarification request for the 4k intro compo rules
. on the scs-trc.net page for X2023 the category was 4KB INTRO
. on http://vote.x also stated 4KB INTRO

and even...

Quoting Burglar
Quoting Knight Rider
I didn't see any update about the 4KB intro. It's 4KB before, or after crunching ?
see post #6, #2, #3, #4 and #5 in this thread.
2023-06-07 10:13
Burglar

Quoting Knight Rider
- X'2023 C64 4K Intro
that's how csdb mistakenly calls 4k compos, not visible until after entries get added to the event here.

Quoting Knight Rider
- Event id #3187 : X'2023 A quick clarification request for the 4k intro compo rules
just cause someone not involved with the party makes a mistake with a compotitle in a csdb post, doesn't make it a rule.

Quoting Knight Rider
- on the scs-trc.net page for X2023 the category was 4KB INTRO

Ah yes, will change for next time. The rules themselves did not mention any of the weird rules used by Didi for his crack intro competition.

Quoting Knight Rider
- on http://vote.x also stated 4KB INTRO

Incorrect, it said "4K".

Quoting Burglar
Quoting Knight Rider
I didn't see any update about the 4KB intro. It's 4KB before, or after crunching ?
see post #6, #2, #3, #4 and #5 in this thread.
[/quote]maybe read post 2 through 6 again.
2023-06-07 12:28
Krill

Quoting Burglar
Quoting Knight Rider
... I spent the whole time moaning that the 4 other ones submitted weren't intros, but 4kb demos. I was told it's not CSDB rules that are applying here...

- there are no 4K csdb rules, besides filesize.
- there was no 4K intro competition at X, there was a 4K competition.
- in PC world, 4K intro means 4K demo.
Just calling the compo "4K" is the best idea to avoid "intro" vs "demo" arguments. =)
2023-06-07 12:42
Oswald

I guess >~25 years ago I was also perplexed why size restricted demos are called intros in the pc scene, but by now I got totally used to it :) in the oldschool c64 scene intro always referred to "crack" intros, so much, crack intro also a term invented by the stupid pc guys, to differentiate their idiotic 4k intro from crack intros. its quite nuts as I think about it :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
tlr
taper/ΤRIΛD
Menace/Spaceballs
Isildur/Samar
Grue/Extend
Starfox