Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Entries > Event id #3294 : X-2024
2023-06-06 11:36
Knight Rider

Event id #3294 : X-2024

I was having a discussion with a few guys over beers in X'2023 and the compos. I was telling about my days as OR8 pilot in the RC world where we had junior, hobby and pro categories for the races.

To make it abit more motivational the people/groups who aren't 20 members strong each with 30+ years of demo coding experience it might be worth while considering other options ?

eg. some of the ideas we discussed:

. Having a pro (ie previous winner category) and hobby section so that contributors are compared to peers of similar experience
. Splitting the voting/ranking for 1 filers from multi disk entries
. Newcomer award for those individuals or teams who never submitted to X before
2023-06-06 12:16
Bitbreaker

Demos with 20 people involved may look like throwing a lot of personell at a project at a first glance, but often it is a core team of a few members who do the main work and a lot of others who do smaller contributions (which are not less important of course!). And i understand the point of not drowning in a quite filled dmeo-compo, i can imagine that this would lower the motivation when it happens all over and over again. 4k in my view had potential for more entries, there were "only" 6. I'd also be fine with distinguishing between onefilers and whole/many disk demos. the smaller and newcomer entries have defenitely deserved as much attention as anything else. We all started small and i do not take it for given to play nowadays in the upper ranges. Growth is imporant and i would not want to cast shadow to make others get less sunlight.
2023-06-06 12:29
Knight Rider

Now centaur2 will be rolling around again calling me the character from Monkey Island. There were 7 4KB INTRO entries. 2 crashed, so were disqualified. I spent the whole time moaning that the 4 other ones submitted weren't intros, but 4kb demos. I was told it's not CSDB rules that are applying here.

I told the guys that for next time I'll need to up the ante on my abilities or participate as a spectator only for X'2024
2023-06-06 12:57
wacek

Quoting Knight Rider
weren't intros, but 4kb demos

Respectfully, 4kB intro is not an invention of C64 scene. Moreover, we are arguably the last platform to introduce it, so IMHO we should follow the definition and format that is long established. Meaning it is size-restricted as 40kB and 64kB intros but not in functional way connected to crack intros.
2023-06-06 13:01
wacek

Quoting Bitbreaker
Demos with 20 people involved may look like throwing a lot of personel at a project at a first glance

It was discussed many times already, I think it is common understanding that gun power is gun power, even if much more "facilitation" is needed in case of having 8 coders instead of 2 ;) But in the end I agree, there is probably not much that can be done with that in practice.

However, I think both the onefile compo and newcomer award is a very good idea, tested on other platforms and events.
2023-06-06 13:53
Cruzer

What? Another X in less than a year? That's amazing! And it's probably not time enough for a lot of new 20 people megaproductions. So this might be the time for smaller demos to shine.

However, if the demo-compo should be split up, I think it might be an idea to have a separate one for max one diskside. That way the small demos aren't compared to 4 diskside 15 mins gfx/animation orgies.
2023-06-06 16:29
TWW

Quote: What? Another X in less than a year? That's amazing! And it's probably not time enough for a lot of new 20 people megaproductions. So this might be the time for smaller demos to shine.

However, if the demo-compo should be split up, I think it might be an idea to have a separate one for max one diskside. That way the small demos aren't compared to 4 diskside 15 mins gfx/animation orgies.

+1
2023-06-06 16:34
hedning

Respectfully I think annual X is a bad idea. Will drain other parties, and also less megamega prods will emerge. Also: May/June? :( I would prefer autumn again. But that might be just me, working within the School year (Same for Dane and so on) makes it impossible to attend during the most stressful time of the year. I would guess it's the same for a lot of guys with kids in school.
2023-06-06 16:58
chatGPZ

I love the new date :) And i think that annual party actually makes the compos more "approachable" again. I'm also totally for a "one disk" limit (as it used to be) - even though it will probably boil down to that in practise anyhow :)

I also find the idea of a compo suited for beginners very interesting - but i find it extremely hard to come up with a suitable category (because obviously, any new category will also attract the pros). That said, i found the amount of compos just right :) It might be an idea to bring back a jury based award instead, ie let some of those "top guys" vote for their favourite "newcomer" production.
2023-06-06 17:03
Krill

Quoting wacek
Quoting Knight Rider
weren't intros, but 4kb demos

Respectfully, 4kB intro is not an invention of C64 scene. Moreover, we are arguably the last platform to introduce it, so IMHO we should follow the definition and format that is long established. Meaning it is size-restricted as 40kB and 64kB intros but not in functional way connected to crack intros.
Everybody would immediately understand "4KB demo" to refer to restricted executable size with unrestricted memory footprint, while "4KB intro" is quite ambiguous since at least ICC rules (restricted memory footprint) have been invented on this platform.

Calling demos intros was a stupid idea from the start, too. :)
2023-06-06 17:10
Krill

Quoting Groepaz
I also find the idea of a compo suited for beginners very interesting - but i find it extremely hard to come up with a suitable category (because obviously, any new category will also attract the pros). That said, i found the amount of compos just right :) It might be an idea to bring back a jury based award instead, ie let some of those "top guys" vote for their favourite "newcomer" production.
Yes, extra "best newcomer" awards or similar are better than having separate compos.

But then again, IF you start making demos and all for the prizes and recognition, you better be prepared to work hard to rise to the top rather than being pampered with pity awards. :]

... 155 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Moloch/TRIAD
Jason/Antic
Acidchild/Padua
Smasher/F4CG
csabanw
Grue/Extend